Internal and Affiliated Uses
Effective Date: 01/01/2004
Last Updated: 10/23/2013
Licensing Policies and Procedures for Campus Departments and Student Organizations
It is not the intent of the University for the school/college/unit/organization to incur additional costs to comply with UGA trademark policies. Because some stocks of trademark bearing supplies (i.e., stationery, signs, other durable goods, etc.) may bear outdated trademarks, it is not necessary to discard those products. However, it is mandatory that when the inventory is depleted, new materials include a compliant mark.
Please take a moment to review your current marks to determine if they adhere to the policy. If not, please forward a copy of your mark to Chip Stewart in the Division of Development and Alumni Relations, Financial Services Office via email at email@example.com or call him at 706-542-4583 and he can assist with any questions.
With regard to the use of UGA marks by internal, administrative units of the University, flexibility in meeting certain requirements of this policy may be applied. This flexibility will require the review of the University's Trademark Management Committee.
Use of a UGA mark with an organization name implies association with the University. Therefore, only official campus departments and those student organizations that are officially recognized by the UGA Division of Student Affairs are allowed to use UGA trademarks in conjunction with their organization's name.
Any product bearing UGA trademarks or a specific departmental logo must be purchased from licensed manufacturers. Using an officially licensed company to manufacture a product ensures that the company has provided the correct product liability insurance and signed UGA's labor code of conduct agreement. UGA has more than 500 licensees nationwide and numerous in-state and locally licensed companies. Lists licensees by product category are updated monthly and may be downloaded from University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations web site.
Campus departments and recognized student organizations may use the UGA name and trademarks on product designs and may include sponsor names/logos on event promotional items in conjunction with UGA marks under the following conditions:
- The school/college/unit or campus organization must complete the logo approval form and submit it along with the design for approval to University of Georgia External Affairs, attention Chip Stewart firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the design includes an athletic mark, the University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations will submit the design to the University of Georgia Athletic Association for approval to use the mark. If the design is an original creation of the campus organization, the University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations will submit the design to University of Georgia Public Affairs for approval (see logo system design guidelines for logo development).
- UGA only allows the University of Georgia Seal on formal and institutional documents, academic awards and graduation and commencement type items (i.e. diplomas, announcements, caps and gowns etc.) The University Seal will not be considered for use on any other items.
- The University of Georgia Athletic Association does not permit the use of the "G" logo on any club sport if the University of Georgia Athletic Association sponsors that sport on the varsity level or if use of the “G” gives the impression that the organization using the logo is a Varsity team, even if the University does not actually have a Varsity team in the sport in question. Varsity Sports include football, baseball, women's softball, basketball, gymnastics, equestrian, golf, women's soccer, swimming, diving, tennis, track, cross country; as well as, auxiliary units such as cheerleading, dance/pom teams and the Redcoat Marching Band.
- All other campus organizations interested in using University of Georgia Athletic Association marks, including the super "G" logo, may be permitted upon approval; however, the following guidelines must be followed:
- The organization may not use any athletic marks on uniforms or any other merchandise if a sponsor is listed in any way; and
- They may not use any athletic marks on merchandise, uniforms or any other products that are to be sold for profit.
- Once the design has been approved, the school, college or campus organization must use a CLC licensed vendor to produce the merchandise. The University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations provides current lists of licensed vendors/manufacturers for download on its web site. These lists are updated monthly.
- If it is the intention of the campus department and/or recognized student organization to use the merchandise as promotional materials, giveaways, or for the sole use of people within their unit or organization, the University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations will provide the group with a letter to the manufacturer allowing the merchandise to be produced "royalty free."
- If it is the intention of the campus department and/or recognized student organization to sell the merchandise as a money-making project, the merchandise will be subject to royalties and must comply with the policies established regarding the sale of merchandise.
- The campus department and/or recognized student organization's name must be included to communicate the relationship is a partnership with a particular group and not an endorsement by UGA as a whole.
In determining exemptions from royalty payment, consideration is given to the mission of the licensing program and the many constituents it serves. Given these criteria UGA is not required to pay royalties to itself for purchases of services or products that are a necessity for faculty and staff to perform their jobs (i.e. equipment, services, uniforms, educational tools). However, UGA attempts to avoid unfair competition with other retailers and service providers and therefore, does not exempt itself from paying royalties to itself on the purchases of goods that are to be resold to members or to the general public, regardless of the purpose of the sale.
Affiliated Organizations are subject to the same duties and obligations in regard to use of UGA trademarks and logos as noted above. The Affiliated Organizations include:
- The University of Georgia Foundation
- The Alumni Association
- The Athletic Association
- The University of Georgia Research Foundation
- The University of Georgia Real Estate Foundation