- 5 Requesting Funding
- 6 Requesting Data
- 7 Logos and Trademarks
Effective Date: 01/01/2004
Last Updated: 10/23/2013
Traditional Retail Merchandise
Any company interested in manufacturing a product that will be sold to consumers through retail distribution channels (including the Internet) must obtain a license through CLC (www.clc.com). All companies must complete the application and the requirements for licensing as outlined by CLC. CLC will communicate all information to the University of Georgia Athletic Association. Based on the information provided, the University of Georgia Athletic Association will determine whether a company will or will not be granted a license. The retail market for collegiate merchandise in general and UGA merchandise specifically has become over saturated in certain product categories. Therefore, licensing may not be granted to new companies in certain categories.
The basic requirements for licensing include: completing the application, providing proof of product liability insurance (amount is based on the product category), signing a license agreement (and authorized manufacturer agreements if needed), signing the labor code agreement, paying the applicable advance, getting all designs and products approved, and reporting royalties on the sale of UGA merchandise.
UGA reserves the right to prohibit use of its trademarks with certain issues and products, such as candidates for public office, those products specifically disallowed per the Board of Regents policy and those products that infringe upon another entity's trademarks or would be considered in poor taste by the general public (See: §IV.D.). UGA will not license products that do not meet minimum standards of quality, good taste, are dangerous, or carry high liability risks.
Other Non-University Use
Use of UGA marks and/or indicia by organizations that are not affiliated with the University will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Below are the basic guidelines that will be followed.
- UGA recognizes that there are many groups that support the University from academics to athletics (i.e. alumni and local organizations). However, any group wanting to use UGA trademarks on products for its membership or for resale must purchase the product from a current UGA licensee. By supporting UGA's licensing initiatives, organizations can assist UGA by ensuring that product bearing UGA logos is of the highest quality and meets all insurance and contractual requirements. The licensee is responsible for getting the design approved by University of Georgia External Affairs or the University of Georgia Athletic Association and remitting UGA's royalty on the wholesale price of the product.
- Businesses may not establish a permanent statue or mural that includes UGA trademarks or likeness without written permission from the University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations or the University of Georgia Athletic Association
- Businesses, with advance written permission from the University, may use UGA trademarks in a non-permanent fixture (i.e. window painting, removable lettering marquees) supporting a UGA event. Permission may be requested by completing and submitting a trademark approval form.
- Businesses or organizations may not use UGA trademarks in any type of advertisements on websites, social networks or on banners, etc., without written permission from University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations or the University of Georgia Athletic Association. An approval form must be completed and sent for review to University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations.
- Individuals or organizations may not utilize UGA's trademarks in conjunction with a candidate for political office, policy/legislative initiatives or political causes of any type.
- Individuals may not use UGA trademarks on a website or social network without approval from University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations or the University of Georgia Athletic Association.
- Traditionally, UGA does not allow its trademarks to be used in conjunction with not-for-profit organizations not affiliated with the university.
- Businesses may not produce merchandise for resale or giveaway that utilizes UGA's trademarks and its name and/or logo without written permission from University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations or the University of Georgia Athletic Association
- Businesses may not use UGA's trademarks to promote its products or services in print, radio, television or Internet advertising without written approval from University of Georgia Division of Development and Alumni Relations or the University of Georgia Athletic Association
- Licensees or retailers of UGA merchandise may print their name on the product. However, the logo or name may be only 1 ½ inches by 1 ½ inches in size. To maintain consistency, this coincides with NCAA rules regarding company branding on uniforms etc.
- Rights fees and royalties for the use of UGA trademarks in all instances may be assessed.