How to Request Unrestricted Funding
Effective Date: 01/01/2004
Last Updated: 12/13/2011
Policy Owner: Coyle, Cindy
Described within this section is the process for requesting new funding or one-time funding from UGA Foundation unrestricted funds.. It is important that the procedures are followed to insure the top priorities of the University of Georgia are funded from limited unrestricted resources of the UGA Foundation.
This section is not intended to address the unrestricted budget process for continuation funding from year to year.
All requests for funding must be submitted to the Executive Director of the UGAF after approved by the President of the University, Provost, or the Senior Vice Presidents of External Affairs /Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration. . Prior to submission to the Executive Director of the UGAF, the following procedures apply:
- A request should receive approvals at both of the following two levels in the requestor's department or unit as applicable:
- Director, Dean of School/College, or Vice President.
- Provost or Senior Vice President.
- At each level, the request for funding should be reviewed to determine if it is a top priority to be funded and if there is available funding within that department/unit to support the project or program. Requests without the appropriate approvals will be sent back.
- Requests accepted will be reviewed by the Senior Vice President for External Affairs, the Provost/Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration. The most acceptable funding method will be determined by the three Senior Vice Presidents. If it is determined that UGA Foundation funds are best suited to fund the request, the request will be forwarded to the Executive Director of the UGAF for consideration. If another source is identified the requestor will be notified of that method.
- The President of UGA will determine the funding priority of the requests for the University as a whole. The President then will submit the proposed requests in order of priority to the Executive Director of the UGA Foundation who will submit the requests for consideration by the UGA Foundation Finance Committee.
- Approved requests for funding by the UGA Foundation Finance Committee shall be presented to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Requestors will be notified of the approval (or non-approval) by the Executive Director of the UGA Foundation. Approved requests will be processed by the UGA Foundation.