The Kent Family of Lookout Mountain, Ga.
Left to right: UGA Freshman Alex Kent, Clare Whitney Kent (BBA '83), Johnathan Kent (BBA '83, JD '86), Mary Clare Kent (BCFCS '12), Abbie Kent and William Kent (BBA '09) tailgating in the fall of 2012.
The Kents of Lookout Mountain, Ga., are part of an extensive UGA alumni family. We asked Clare Whitney Kent (BBA '83) to share the family's strong legacy:
"Jonathan Kent and I started dating in 1981 while we were undergraduate students at UGA. We graduated in June two years later and were married that July. In Auguts, Jonathan started law school, during which we lived in married housing. We were lucky to extend our time in the Classic City to seven years. Today, we feel privileged that three of our four children have found their way to Athens and can only hope the same for our daughter, Abbie, who is still in high school.
In our extended family, we count 25 relatives (in only three generations) who have spent time in UGA classrooms. Twenty relatives have obtained 23 degrees between them. Two of our family members are currently enrolled at the University, and we hope for several more in the near future! Here are the details:
My husband and I (both of Lookout Mountain, Ga.)
- Jonathan Kent (BBA '83, JD '86), a member of Sigma Chi fraternity
- Clare Whitney Kent (BBA '83)
Our children (of Chattanooga, Tenn.)
- William Kent (BBA '09), who studied in Oxford, England
- Mary Clare Kent (BCFCS '12), a member of Chi Omega sorority and studied in Verona, Italy
- Alex Kent (AB '16), a current freshman and member of Sigma Chi fraternity
Jonathan's family (Lookout Mountain, Ga., and Lookout Mountain, Tenn.)
- Steve Kent (BBA '73), Johnathan's oldest brother, member of Chi Phi fraternity
- Suzanne Respess Kent (BSED '73), Steve's wife, member of Phi Mu sorority
- T. Dustman "Dusty" Kent (BS '98), Steve and Suzanne's son
- Anna Cunningham Kent (BA '98, MED '03), Dusty's wife
- Craig Kent (BA '80), Jonathan's middle brother
- Patsy Varner Kent (BA '81), Craig's wife
- Melanie Kent (AB '14), Craig and Patsy's daughter, current student studying in Oxford, England
- David Kent (BBA '80), Jonathan's fourth brother
- Beth Kent Wingfield (BA '03), Jonathan's niece, studied in Cortona, Italy
- Katie Kent (BFA '07), Jonathan's niece, of Birmingham, Ala., studied in Cortona, Italy
- Susan Kent (BFA '10, BS '10), of Chattanooga, Tenn., studied in Cortona, Italy
- Helen Roberts Whitney (M '48), Clare's mother, lived in Rutherford Hall, Jennie Belle Myers was her house mother
- Steve Williams ('75), Clare's brother-in-law, a former mayor of Royston, Ga.
- Clark Williams (BSED '08), Steve's son, currently the assistant video coordinator for UGA's football team
- Whitney Williams, Steve's daughter of Charleston, S.C., member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority
- Kelli DeMott Williams (BCFCS '04), Steve's daughter-in-law of Watkinsville, Ga.
- Katherine M. Whitney (DVM '80), Clare's cousin of Libertyville, Ill.
- Katharine Whisnant Heika (MSW '90), Clare's cousin of Atlanta
- Katharine Whitney Whisnant (M '43), Clare's aunt, member of Delta Delta Delta sorority
We are a 100 percent Bulldog family with a number of Auburn, Tennessee, and Mercer graduates mixed in - who also secretly love UGA. As always, Go Dawgs!"