Left to right: Boggs Hall, William E. Boggs
Boggs Hall, a dormitory on South Lumpkin Street, is named for William E. Boggs, a UGA chancellor from 1889 to 1899.
The son of Presbyterian missionaries, Boggs was born in India. His family returned to the United States when he was a child. He graduated from South Carolina College in 1859 and received his doctorate from Columbia Theological Seminary in 1862.
During the Civil War, Boggs served as a chaplain for the Confederacy. He taught three years at Columbia Seminary before going to Memphis. He also served churches in Georgia and South Carolina.
Boggs became a Presbyterian minister himself and was serving in Memphis, Tenn., when he was elected UGA chancellor in 1889. His time at the University is best known for establishing the State Normal School in 1891, which later became the Georgia State Teachers College. He was a strong spokesman when UGA was severely opposed by church-related college administrators throughout the state.
Boggs resigned in 1899 and served the Presbyterian Church in Florida and Missouri. His last years were in ministry at Confederate Veterans’ Homes. He died in Baltimore, Md., in 1920.