Clarke Howell Hall
Left to right: Clark Howell, Sr., and Clark Howell Hall
Clarke Howell Hall was built on South Lumpkin Street in 1937 as a dormitory, but has seen many uses in recent years. Today, it houses the UGA Career Center.
The building is named for Clarke Howell, Sr., a journalist and politician who graduated from UGA in 1883. A native of South Carolina, he moved to Atlanta as a child. After graduating from Georgia, Howell worked for the New York Times and the Philadelphia Press. He moved back to Atlanta in 1884 and was elected to the House of Representatives for three terms. He also joined the staff of the Atlanta Constitution.
In 1892, Howell became a Democratic National Committee member and a member of the UGA Board of Trustees in 1896. In 1900, he became the president of the Georgia Senate. Six years later, he lost a campaign to become Georgia governor, but remained an active Democrat and confident to presidents. During the 1920s, Howell served on the National Coal Commission under U.S. President Warren Harding, and on the National Transportation Commission under President Coolidge. He served under President Franklin Roosevelt as Chairman of the Federal Aviation Commission.
He was active with the Southern Newspaper Publishing Association and served as a director of the Associated Press from 1900 until his death in 1936. He launched an investigation into Atlanta corruption that won the newspaper its first Pulitzer Prize in 1931.
After Henry W. Grady’s death, Howell moved into his job, acquired the newspaper, and hired Ralph Magill.
He was president of the UGA Alumni Society from 1914 to 1917, and helped promote the University’s great Centennial Celebration in 1901. He died at home in Atlanta in 1936.