Dan Magill Tennis Complex
Left to right: Dan Magill Tennis Complex; the legendary Dan Magill
The Dan Magill Tennis Complex is one of the largest of its kind, housing 16 courts (12 outdoor and four indoor) and boasting a total seating capacity of more than 5,000 fans. It also offers a men’s and women’s club house, the National Collegiate Hall of Fame, and the Henry Field Stadium.
The complex is named for long-time UGA Director of Sports Information and Tennis Coach Dan Magill (ABJ ’42). Magill was born in Athens in 1921 and is reputed to be the first child born in Athens General Hospital. Both of his parents attended UGA; his father was editor of the Athens-Banner newspaper.
As a child, Magill was a ball boy for the UGA baseball team. In this role, he was required to clean up trash under the stands after games – but, if he found any money, he was allowed to keep it as pay.
In 1942, Magill earned his degree in journalism from UGA and then joined the U.S. Marines during World War II. Following the conclusion of the war, he covered high school sports for The Atlanta Journal in Atlanta.
In 1949, former UGA coach Wally Butts hired Magill as his assistant. Butts eventually asked him to fill in for the sports information director who had left. Magill “filled in” until the late 1970s, becoming one of the most efficient sports information directors in the country. During that time, Magill founded Bulldog Clubs in each of Georgia’s 159 countries to support the athletic program at UGA.
In 1955, Butts asked Magill to hire a new tennis coach. Magill “couldn’t find one,” so he decided to do it himself.” Author and sportscaster Tony Barnhart says “he went on to become the most successful men’s tennis coaches of all time.”
Magill’s teams won 706 matches, 13 SEC championships, and two national championships. He planned and promoted the development, financing, and construction of the complex that is named in his honor today.
Henry Field Stadium was built in 1984 and named for Henry Field, who played singles for UGA from 1964 to 1966. He passed aware in a tragic auto accident in Atlanta two years later.
The indoor tennis stadium was a gift from Lindsey Hopkins, Jr., in honor of his son, Lindsey Hopkins, III (BBA '61). The younger Hopkins was captain of the 1959 tennis team and was a two-time singles and doubles champion.
The Hopkins were strong supporters of the Terry College of Business. Lindsey Hopkins, III, was a recipient of the Terry College Alumni Service Award in 2004, the year he died.